Rights and Responsibilities
Your rights and responsibilities as a member of the Public-
You have the right to:
- Be treated with respect and dignity by all physicians and healthcare professionals.
- Privacy and confidentiality for treatments, tests or procedures you receive.
- Voice concerns about the service and care you receive.
- Register complaints and appeals concerning your provider or the care provided to you.
- Receive timely responses to your concerns.
- Participate in a candid discussion with your physician about appropriate and medically necessary treatment options for your conditions, regardless of cost or benefit coverage.
- Be provided with access to health care, physicians and health care professionals.
- Participate with your physician or other caregivers in decisions about your care.
- Make recommendations regarding the organizations' customer's rights and responsibilities policies.
- Be informed of, and refuse to participate in, any experimental treatment.
- Have coverage decisions and claims processed according to regulatory standards.
- Choose an advance directive to designate the kind of care you wish to receive should you be unable to express your wishes.
You have the responsibilities to:
- Know and confirm your benefits before receiving treatment.
- Contact an appropriate health care professional when you have a medical need or concern.
- Show your ID card before receiving health care services.
- Pay any necessary co-payment at the time you receive treatment.
- Use emergency room services only for injury or illness that, in the judgment of a reasonable person, requires immediate treatment to avoid jeopardy to life or health.
- Keep scheduled appointments.
- Provide information needed for your care.
- Follow agreed-upon instructions and guidelines of physicians and health care professionals.
- Participate in understanding your health problems and developing mutually agreed upon treatment goals.
- Notify your employer's human resource department of changes in address or family status.
HIPAA Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information