Some facts about osteopathic physicians:
- D.O.s are one of the fastest growing segments of health care providers. Growth in the number of D.O.s is exceeding projections. Between 1989 and 1994, D.O. growth outpaced M.D. growth by almost two times. By the year 2020, over 80,000 osteopathic physicians will be in practice in the U.S.
- More than 64% of all D.O.s practice in the primary care areas of family practice, internal medicine, obstetrics/gynecology and pediatrics.
- D.O.s represent 6% of the total U.S. physician population and 8% of all military physicians.
- D.O.s represent 15% of physicians in small towns and rural areas
- Each year, more than 100 million patient visits are made to D.O.s